World Series Odds
It’s time to get into the business of picking a World Series champion at BetMGM! The 2020 baseball playoffs this September are gearing up to be more dramatic and tightly contested than ever before.
The Major Leagues has approved a new 60-game season, starting in late July, that will lead to a sprint to the finish, impacting the MLB playoff picture and World Series odds with each win and loss.
Your betting strategies will need to shift as the world gets ready for all the action. With new rules to go along with the shortened 60-game season, underdog teams may feel 2020 represents their best chance to reach the MLB playoffs and compete for the World Series.
Teams like the Rays, Brewers, and Angels will all fancy their chances, with strength throughout their batting line-ups, depth in the bullpen, and their propensity to hit the ground running at the start of the season.
However, the New York Yankees and LA Dodgers enter the 2020 MLB season as the favourites to win it all with the strongest-looking rosters in the major leagues, at least on paper.
The latest baseball playoff odds & probabilities
The shortened season comes with more variables such as shorter games, different schedules, and the new designated hitter rule. While most bettors have simply split teams’ odds by 2.7 to account for the shorter season, you never know what kind of unexpected results this unprecedented season will bring.
The pro baseball playoff odds don’t actually look that different to a normal 162-game season, with the Dodgers and Yankees still World Series favorites. The rest of the top 5 is made up of the Astros, Braves, and Twins.
It’s going to be intriguing to see how the new rules will impact team and player performance and how sports betting odds react as the season kicks off!
Place your baseball playoff bets at BetMGM
BetMGM is a trusted sportsbook casino that offers a range of betting markets. Place your baseball World Series futures bets with us! Register today and get exclusive access to Playoff Series Winner prop bets, divisional odds, pennant odds, and more.
How will the MLB Playoffs work in 2020?
The pro baseball postseason or playoffs will be unchanged in 2020, consisting of an elimination tournament that takes place after the major league regular season. It marks the end of the regular season. This is the time when wild-card teams can surprise baseball fans and league leaders can crumble. The playoffs consist of 10 teams — five from the American League and five from the National League.
The playoffs are made up of four rounds:
- The Wild Card Round — a single-elimination play-in game.
- The Divisional Round — the winner of the Wild Card Game plays the No. 1 seed, while the No. 2 and 3 seeds match up. It’s also known as a best-of-5 series.
- The League Championship — winners of the Divisional Rounds will face each other. Known as a best-of-7 series.
- Following the League Championship Series, the 2 winners will play in the World Series.
How to bet on baseball
Firstly, there are three basic bet types you can use in baseball betting. These bets include the moneyline, run line, and total.
- Moneyline refers to which of the two teams will win the game.
- Run line is similar to the point spread in football. A run line bet is set at -1.5 for the favorite and +1.5 for the underdog. You can place a wager on the favored team to win by 2 runs or more; conversely, you can place a wager on the underdog to lose by 1 run or to win the game.
- Totals betting is a wager on the total number of runs scored in a game.
Once you know the basics of baseball betting, you will need to find the best strategy to get an edge over the sportsbook casino. BetMGM’s sports betting guide will provide you with all the rules and betting markets you need.
How to win money by betting on baseball
Unlike basketball and football, baseball is a pure moneyline sport. All you need to do is pick who you think will win the game. Remember, nothing is guaranteed in online sports betting, but a guide can help your betting strategy. Here are some tips on how to place your baseball bets.
- Avoid big favorites: Since recreational bettors love placing wagers on favorites, sportsbook casinos will often capitalize on public bias and disguise the lines.
- Bet against the public: There is value in betting against the public. If you bet contrary to the public bias, you place yourself on the side of the sportsbook casino.
- Know the weather: Wind can have a massive impact on the overs/unders of a game.
- Know the umpires: You should know who is behind the plate. Crowd influence can play a huge role in an umpire’s decision. Some umpires might have a big strike zone which means more strikeouts and batted balls in play, which will benefit unders.
How to understand baseball odds
Before you place your bets at a sportsbook casino, you should understand how baseball odds work.
- The Point Spread: also known as the line or the spread. It is used as a margin to handicap the favorite team. The oddsmakers will predict that the favored team will win by a certain number of points. If you bet on the favorite to win, the favorite team must win by a greater margin than the point spread. If you bet on the underdog, the underdog must win, tie or the favorite team must win by less than the point spread.
- The Moneyline: the moneyline refers to wagering on the game based on a given price instead of a point spread. The team you bet on must win the game outright.
- The Over/Under: this is the number of points that the sportsbook casino predicts will be the total score for the game. It is each team’s score combined, including overtime. You must bet on whether the total points will be more than or less than the number predicted by the oddsmakers.
No live streaming currently available for this event