Basketball Betting & Basketball Odds Online
BetMGM is camped in the paint, offering a variety of odds and betting specials on basketball games around the world. Whether you’re new tobasketball betting or a returning veteran looking for favorable odds, there’s a ton of action all year.
Basketball Betting FAQs
1. How to bet on basketball
There are various ways in which you can bet on basketball, including live sports betting, money line bets, parlays, halftime betting, and futures:
- Live sports betting: Live betting is a unique opportunity to place live bets during a game. From opening tip-off through the final buzzer, live basketball betting is available for thousands of games every year. While you’re watching a game or tracking scores online, check out BetMGM live sports betting for next-level entertainment.
- Money line: This is the most common and simple basketball bet. On the money line, you bet on a certain team to win the game.
- Over/under (totals): Essentially betting on the combined score for each team. The sportsbook casino will determine if the score will be over or under certain points.
- Spread: Betting on a particular margin of victory. You will need a team to win by a certain amount of points or more, or for a team to lose by a certain number of points or more for your bet to be successful.
- Halftime Lines: A savvy bettor knows that halftime does not mean it’s time to change the channel. Instead, it’s time to take advantage of halftime lines which are available during halftime only. Here, you bet on an entirely new spread taking into account what happened in the first half of the game.
- Parlays: This wager allows you to combine all your bets to increase your payout. However, in order to win, all your selections need to be correct.
- Futures and outrights: Another popular market where you bet on the championship winner, conference winners, division winners, and MVPs.
2. What is spread betting in basketball?
The spread, or handicap, is a betting market that bookies use to level the playing field. The handicap is often displayed as either (-) or (+) and is used to determine the game’s outcome for the purpose of the bet.
For instance, let’s say the Los Angeles Lakers are the favorite at -7.5 points, and the Chicago Bulls, at +7.5, are the underdogs. Los Angeles must win by 8 points or more for you to win your bet, and Chicago must lose by 7 points or fewer for you to collect your winnings.
3. What is a money line bet in basketball?
Basketball money line betting, aka straight betting, is wagering on the winner of the game without the point spread. Money line wagers are made using odds to reflect the strength of the teams and public market.
For example, a money line for a Toronto Raptors-Utah Jazz game: Toronto Raptors -200 and Utah Jazz +140
If you bet on the Raptors to win, you need to bet $200 to win $100. If you bet on Jazz to win, then you will need to wager $100 in order to win $140, which means you risk much less by betting on them because they are the underdogs.
4. How do odds work in basketball?
Sports betting odds come in three formats: American odds, fractional odds, and decimal odds.
American odds, used mostly in the United States and some parts of Canada, and are
presented as whole numbers. These are most popular in football. Fractional odds come in fractions, like 10/1, 5/7, and decimal odds in decimals such as 2.0, 1.85, etc.
- American odds: The (-) sign is used to represent the favorite, while the (+) represents the underdog. If the odds are Celtics -110 and Mavericks +110, you need to bet $110 to win $100 on Celtics or bet $100 to win $110 on the Mavericks. Both teams could also be +, but the team with the lower number is always the favorite.
- Fractional odds: The favorite is represented by the top number being smaller than the bottom number on either side of the fraction and vice versa for the underdog.
- Decimal odds: These odds show the total money your bet returns, including your initial stake and not just the profit. The underdog usually has odds greater than 2.0, and the favorite will have less. The odds for the draw are usually higher than 2.0.
5. How to bet over/under in basketball
Over/under basketball bets are another simple betting market.
You simply bet on whether the game’s total score will be over or under certain points set by the bookmaker. For instance, let’s say the Los Angeles Lakers are playing the Brooklyn Nets, and the sports book sets a total of 190.5. If the total score is 191 points or more, the over wins, but the under wins if it is lower than 190.5.