Once upon a time, Tyreek Hill was an elite cog in the Kansas City Chiefs’ offensive machine. But with an aging and increasingly expensive roster, the Chiefs had to make some tough choices about who they could pay.
With that in mind, the Chiefs elected to send Hill to the Miami Dolphins on March 23, 2022 as part of a sign-and-trade deal.
Hill was immediately given a new contract extension worth more than $100 million, rightfully making him one of the highest-paid receivers in professional football.
Tyreek Hill Contract
Tyreek Hill signed a four-year, $120 million contract extension with Miami in March 2022 that runs through the 2026 season. The deal included a $25.5 million signing bonus.
Tyreek Hill Salary
Tyreek Hill earned $1,165,000 in base salary for the 2023 season. This is the first year of his new extension that was signed during the 2022 trade from the Chiefs.
Hill was originally going to make $16 million in base salary in 2023. However, Hill agreed to convert nearly $25 million in salary and roster bonus into signing bonus cash, which cleared more than $18 million in 2023 cap room for Miami. His total cash for 2023 is $26.35 million.
In 2024, Hill will make $19,665,000 in base salary. His average annual income for the life of the contract is $30 million.
Tyreek Hill Guaranteed Money
Tyreek Hill’s current contract includes $72.2 million in guaranteed money.
Tyreek Hill Chiefs Trade Details
The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill to Miami in exchange for first-, second-, and fourth-round picks in the 2022 draft, plus fourth- and sixth-round picks from the 2023 draft.
Here’s what ultimately happened with those picks:
- 2022 Round 1, Pick 29: Miami gave this pick to KC, but this was originally a San Francisco pick that the 49ers moved to the Dolphins in 2021 in order to move up and draft quarterback Trey Lance. Kansas City, in turn, gave this pick to New England as a part of a picks package so that the Chiefs could move up and draft CB Trent McDuffie at No. 21 overall. The Patriots ultimately used this pick on FCS guard Cole Strange.
- 2022 Round 2, Pick 50: This pick was also traded to the Patriots, but this time it was Kansas City who was trading down. KC got picks 54 and 158; New England drafted WR Tyquan Thornton from Baylor. The Chiefs used 54 on Skyy Moore; 158 was traded to Seattle as part of a package to acquire 145, which became Kentucky guard Darian Kinnard.
- 2022 Round 4, Pick 121: This pick was part of the package the Chiefs moved to New England in order to draft McDuffie. The Patriots used it to take CB Jack Jones, who was waived during the 2023 season and claimed by the Raiders.
- 2023 Round 4, Pick 122: Yet again, Kansas City traded this pick as part of a package. This time, the Chiefs grabbed a second-rounder from Detroit, which they used on SMU wide receiver Rashee Rice. The Lions ultimately handed this pick to the Cardinals, who used it on UCLA guard Jon Gaines II.
- 2023 Round 6, Pick 178: You surely will not be surprised to learn that Kansas City traded this pick, which originally belonged to Chicago before it was traded to Miami. This time, it was the Dallas Cowboys who were the recipients. KC got a fifth-round pick in the 2024 draft, while Dallas got Southern Miss CB Eric Scott Jr.
So, who did the Chiefs ultimately get in exchange for Tyreek Hill? That would be Trent McDuffie, Skyy Moore, Darian Kinnard, Rashee Rice, and (potentially) an unnamed 2024 fifth-round player.
You can decide whether or not they got their money’s worth.
NFL Betting Odds at BetMGM
NFL betting odds are available throughout the year.
Whether you’re seeking Super Bowl odds for the Baltimore Ravens, live sports betting opportunities during regular-season games, or over/under totals for an AFC East game between the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills, BetMGM is the premier destination for online betting.