- The Gatorade shower originated in the mid-1980s with the New York Giants
- Over the last 22 Super Bowls, orange was the top color (22.7%)
- Since 2015, blue Gatorade has been tops (50%)
- Blue Gatorade hit last year at +300 when the Rams won Super Bowl 56
The tradition of giving the winning coach a Gatorade shower has been around since the mid-1980s, with several sources crediting the first occurrence during a New York Giants regular season game on October 28, 1984.
This celebratory practice gained larger national attention during the 1986 NFL season, when head coach Bill Parcells was doused 17 times after every Giants victory throughout the regular season and playoffs — culminating in a Super Bowl XXI victory.
Super Bowl Gatorade Color Odds
|Color of Gatorade||Odds to Win|
|No Gatorade Bath||+1700|
Looking to place a bet on what color Gatorade will be poured on the winning Super Bowl coach? Odds for this Super Bowl prop bet will be updated above as they become available on the BetMGM Sportsbook.
Betting on the Super Bowl Gatorade Color
Wagering on the Gatorade shower color during the Super Bowl, along with many other Super Bowl prop bets depends on regulators in each state where sports betting is legal.
What states can you bet on the Super Bowl Gatorade color?
- Illinois, Louisiana, New Jersey, Washington DC, West Virginia, Wyoming and Ontario (Canada).
Super Bowl Gatorade Color Trends
- Since 2001, orange Gatorade has been dumped on Super Bowl winning coaches the most: 5 times (22.7%)
- Since 2015, blue Gatorade has been the most frequent, appearing 4 times (50%)
- Since 2001, red Gatorade has never won
- Purple Gatorade has only appeared twice, in 2012 and 2003
- When the Rams won Super Bowl in 2022, head coach Sean McVay received a blue Gatorade shower
Super Bowl Gatorade Color by Percentage, 2001-2022
|Gatorade Color||Percentage||# of Times|
|Clear / Water||18.2%||4|
|Red / Pink||0%||0|
Is there a correlation between the winning Super Bowl team and their Gatorade color preference?
Since 2001, five NFL teams have won multiple Super Bowls: the Patriots, Buccaneers, Steelers, Ravens and Giants.
Of those teams, only the Patriots have had the same color Gatorade shower more than once, with blue occurring in 2019 & 2015. In three of their six Super Bowl wins, there was no Gatorade shower — which would result in a bet being void.
Super Bowl Gatorade Color Results by Team, since 2001
|Year||Super Bowl Winner||Gatorade Color|
NFL Betting at BetMGM
At BetMGM, you have hundreds of online betting opportunities for NFL betting throughout the preseason, regular season, and postseason,
Whether you’re looking for spreads, live betting, or Super Bowl props, there are opportunities for everyone to place a bet online!