- The Gatorade shower originated in the mid-1980s with the New York Giants
- Over the last 22 Super Bowls, orange was the top color (22.7%)
- Since 2015, blue Gatorade has been tops (50%)
- Blue Gatorade hit at +300 when the Rams won Super Bowl 56
The tradition of giving the winning coach a Gatorade shower has been around since the mid-1980s, with several sources crediting the first occurrence during a New York Giants regular season game on October 28, 1984.
This celebratory practice gained larger national attention during the 1986 NFL season, when head coach Bill Parcells was doused 17 times after every Giants victory throughout the regular season and playoffs — culminating in a Super Bowl XXI victory.
Betting on the Super Bowl Gatorade Color
Wagering on the Gatorade shower color during the Super Bowl, along with many other Super Bowl prop bets depends on regulators in each state where sports betting is legal.
For the 2022 Super Bowl LVI, betting on the Gatorade color was legal in the following states:
- Arizona, Indiana, Louisiana, New Jersey, West Virginia, Wyoming
Betting on the Gatorade color is not legal in:
- Colorado, Iowa, New York, Mississippi, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia
Super Bowl Gatorade Color by Percentage, 2001-2022
- Since 2001, orange Gatorade has been dumped on Super Bowl winning coaches the most: 5 times (22.7%)
- Since 2015, blue Gatorade has been the most frequent, appearing 4 times (50%)
- Since 2001, red Gatorade has never won
- Purple Gatorade has only appeared twice, in 2012 and 2003
- When the Rams won Super Bowl in 2022, head coach Sean McVay received a blue Gatorade shower
|Gatorade Color||Percentage||# of Times|
|Clear / Water||18.2%||4|
|Red / Pink||0%||0|
2022 Super Bowl LVI Gatorade Color Odds
Looking to place a bet on what color Gatorade will be poured on the winning Super Bowl coach? Here are the current odds for this Super Bowl prop bet from the BetMGM Sportsbook.
|Color of Gatorade||Odds to Win|
|No Gatorade Bath||Bet is void|
Super Bowl Gatorade Color Results by Team, since 2001
Is there a correlation between the winning Super Bowl team and their Gatorade color preference?
Since 2001, five NFL teams have won multiple Super Bowls: the Patriots, Buccaneers, Steelers, Ravens and Giants.
Of those teams, only the Patriots have had the same color Gatorade shower more than once, with blue occurring in 2019 & 2015. In three of their six Super Bowl wins, there was no Gatorade shower — which would result in a bet being void.
|Year||Super Bowl Winner||Gatorade Color|